Maximum Compensation
We will push for the maximum compensation available for your injuries.
Maximum Compensation
We will push for the maximum compensation available for your injuries.
Maximum Compensation
We will push for the maximum compensation available for your injuries.
Maximum Compensation
We will push for the maximum compensation available for your injuries.

Get In Touch Now

Does My Workplace Have to Have a Formal Health & Safety Representative?

Health and safety representative

Health and Safety Representative

All employers have a duty to consult staff about health and safety in the workplace. This can be done either by consulting employees directly or via a dedicated safety representative who can act on behalf of the employees.

Typically, most employers look to consult a single, or group of safety representatives rather than all employees.

Safety Representative Duties

The safety representative has several duties to undertake. These include:

  • Representing workers in employer discussions
  • Performing regular inspections of the workplace and testing alarm systems
  • Taking part in any risk assessments
  • Carrying out investigations into complaints, hazards and dangerous incidents

Employers Duty

The employer has a duty of care to all staff to ensure they are safe and free (or as free as reasonably possible) from harm when performing their tasks.

The employer has to consult staff about any issues that may affect their health and safety. This can be directly or via a representative. The employer must give an opportunity for views to be stated on any health and safety issues.

Areas which must be consulted on include:

  • Any changes in working practice that could impact the health and safety of staff
  • Planning of health and safety training
  • Health and safety issues associated with the introduction of new technology
  • Information made available regarding health and safety risks

Who Is Responsible for Recording and Reporting Accidents?

Under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) 2013 (for more information look at our injury guide), there is a legal requirement to report certain incidents, injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences. This includes those involving members of the public as well as employees.

RIDDOR states that the duty of reporting falls on “responsible persons.” These can be defined as:

  • Employers
  • Self- employed individuals
  • People in control of premises/buildings

The following type of accident/incident must be reported under RIDDOR:

  • Death
  • Major injuries such as a broken bone
  • Disease
  • Any injury that prevents an employee working for more than seven days
  • Any dangerous incidents which have occurred that could’ve led to the above

When reporting an incident under RIDDOR, the report must include:

  • The date, time and place of the incident
  • The date when the report is being made
  • The method of reporting
  • Personal details of those involved in the incident
  • Brief description of the event or illness

Can You Make a Claim?

If you have been injured in an accident at work, and it wasn’t your fault, you may be able to make a claim. Employers have a duty of care, and if this was breached then they may be liable.

The best way to know if you can make a claim is to get in touch with one of our professional and experienced lawyers who will be able to take your details and advise accordingly.

We always work on a no win no fee basis so there is no risk to you. We work had for you to ensure that you get the maximum award possible. We only talk in plain English and will keep you informed throughout the process.

For more information, get in touch with us today by either phoning us on 0800 1123 156, or completing our quick online contact form. Compensation claims must be made within three years so don’t wait. Get in touch today.

[Sassy_Social_Share type=”floating”]

Get In Touch Now